[conspire] Real online presence v. outsourced SaaS hosting, again

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 17 18:44:44 PDT 2011

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> One option for the best of both worlds:
>   http://www.branchable.com/about/
>
> It's a hosted service, but under the hood it's
> Ikiwiki/Git, so you can (with the investment of a
> weekend tweaking around with Ikiwiki) move your site
> to another service or your own box.

Looks terrific for groups willing to acknowledge that they need
nothing more baroque and heavy-weight than a blog or wiki.  For many
needs, Asciidoc, MarkDown, etc. are about right, as is ikiwiki markup.

However, there's a whole lot of people who cannot conceive of lacking
WYSIWYG editing and bidirection compatibility with MS-Office.  Google
Docs aims squarely at them, throwing in for good measure 'Ooh, look,
I can see the changes George Tirebiter is making to my spreadsheet, in
real time, as he's typing them.'