[conspire] Linux distributions, and variations thereon

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon May 9 11:38:23 PDT 2011

begin Rick Moen quotation of Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:46:52AM -0700:

> Then we get down to the Ubuntu family.  Here's one thing I really don't
> understand:  Many of the people who go for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu do so
> because they want easy access to proprietary AV codecs, Adobe Flash,
> extra themes, built-in copies of everything to drive cranky ethernet,
> wireless, and video chips from uncooperative manufacturers.  _But_
> Ubuntu doesn't give easy access to those things -- whereas two
> compatible distros, Linux Mint and Ultimate Edition, do.  But no
> newcomers at CABAL ever asks for Linux Mint or Ultimate Edition.
> It's always just Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu all the time.  I think it's just
> ignorance and marketing.

It's probably more of this:
  http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

The Ubuntu "Unique Selling Proposition" if you
can call it that, is the anti-flaming norm.  Which
distribution is "easiest" includes the stress level
of the support fora.

Thanks for the update on the current state of
installing Linux on uncooporative manufacturer's
hardware.  (First thing I thought when I read this...
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html ... was
"Someone has asked Rick Moen to help install Linux
on those.")

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/