[conspire] HP WebOS threats

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Mar 26 20:35:13 PDT 2011

I know folks 'round these parts don't believe in pre-installed systems
but HP is making some serious noise about the GNU/Linux based WebOS
being preinstalled on EVERY HP system in the future, and I think that is
worthy of some notice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/HP-WebOS-Palm-OS-WebOS-PC-Tablets-Smartphones,12352.html

Speaking to Bloomberg, HP CEO Leo Apotheker said that starting in 2012,
every one of HP’s PCs will be shipped with the ability to run WebOS as
well as Windows.

Speaking to the Seattle Times, Phil McKinney, CTO of HP's personal
systems group, said the company's new approach would be "a combination
of taking the existing operating systems and bringing WebOS onto those
platforms and making it universal across all of our footprint."

According to Bloomberg, the aim of including WebOS is to encourage
developers to develop applications for more than just phones and
tablets. The end result is hopefully differentiating HP PCs, printers,
tablets and phones from competitors' products.

In addition, things seem that they will start with the new "phones" and
touchpad devices that will be introduced this summer which at least
promise to have extrodenary interoperability with each other and HP
printers on the network, which, to my knowledge, would be the first time
you'll be able to readily print your email from your phone to your HP
lazerjet printer, all with a GNU/Linux backbone.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2011/110209xc.html

https://ws.palm.com/maint/mypalmmaintenance.html

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium