[conspire] Book Burning continues thanks to the Feds

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:40:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 22:18, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704461304576216923562033348.html
>>
>> I'm sick of the fake rights to obstruct free society.  Google should
>> stop wasting its time and lobby Congress for a change in the law.
>
> One problem:  Any change Google, Inc. would want would, on the evidence,
> not be one that you or I would.

And the judge, too so far. While I have been a leader on confirmed
opt-in non-SPAM e-mail as President of CAUCE.org, I am totally against
opt-in for putting abandoned works online.

> Ruben, are you aware of the unique, _proprietary_, and perpetual rights
> that the proposed 2008 settlement would have given to Google, Inc. --
> automatically and to the copyright titles of every _single_ book author
> who hasn't explicitly lodged an opt-out affidavit with Google, Inc.'s
> legal team?

My proposal would be for the settlement to allow anybody to set up a
registry and digitize books, with a requirement for data sharing
between all such registries. That is, copyright holders could opt out
in one location with global effect (modulo all of the differences in
national copyright regimes). There are many, many details that would
have to be worked out, but this would protect corporations, copyright
owners, and the rights of the public.

I think. IANAL, but I have had to learn to read legalese as a lobbyist
in the public interest. ^_^