[conspire] Linux distributions, and variations thereon

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jun 24 08:52:39 PDT 2011

On 5/9/11 10:46 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
...snip...
Rick, I always look forward to reading your essays describing the distros
you have chosen to burn for the next CABAL. They are a juicy blend of
opinion and fact.

Every once in a while I purposefully select a distribution that is far
outside my usual realm of work and experience and try it out.
This time it's Ultimate Edition 2.9 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad T-510.

You said, about this distro, that it really "go(es) to town in bundling
'desktop' tchochkes".

Umm, yes. This distro does have a lot of style. A lot. Like windows that
jiggle like a bowl of jello when opened and color and light like a pinball
machine. (Compiz) This is a hot-rod distro. Like one of the larger models of
Swiss Army knife. But it is also very complete.

Ultimate Linux has an amazing collection of tools and goodies from which to
learn and use. And based on a few hours experience with the thing everything
just works. It has a collection of network tools, codecs, multimedia,
office, and the 'Ubuntu tweaks' are to be studied in their own right.

When I get into one of these distros that is a bit out of the ordinary I
wonder about the mindset of the distro architects. Whoever put this together
is very thoughtful.

I plan to bring this beast to CABAL Saturday and people can experience it
for themselves if they wish. I like the functionality and what appears to be
the thoughtfulness around putting the distro together. Now if I could just
get some German/Apple UI engineers to tone down the style a bit it would an
even more useful distro.

...snip...