[conspire] A Beautiful Unicode Rant

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Jun 10 02:07:05 PDT 2011

Deirdre Saoirse Moen:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6162484/why-does-modern-perl-avoid-utf-8-by-default/6163129#6163129

>From that post comes this lovely bit of Rickbait:
> Code that assumes that ASCII is good enough for writing English
> properly is stupid, shortsighted, illiterate, broken, evil, and wrong.
> Off with their heads! If that seems too extreme, we can compromise:
> henceforth they may type only with their big toe from one foot (the
> rest still be ducktaped).

It seems largely to be addressing people who are confused about unicode
vs its various encodings.  It also seems to be pro-utf8 but full of gar
about anyone who's used anything else to encode unicode.

I'm a pretty big fan of utf-8, but this seems to largely be pretty
Perl-specific.

The camels are pretty great, though.

--
A: No.
Q: Should I put my reply above quoted text?