[conspire] request recommendation for webcam for Mac G4 PPC - Mac OS 10.4.11

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 8 07:18:54 PDT 2011

Hello Darlene,

I have a dual G5 and am moving to a newer Mac for the reasons Rick has stated. In addition
all the newer versions of many programs no longer support the P{PC chips.

Video chatting on the Mac has always been linked to either Apple's camera or built-in camera on
laptops. Using other cameras was at best iffy without 3'rd party software to make it work. Think
money.

Linux would be a better alternative than an outdated OS that is no longer supported or maintained
with security updates.

There are a number of video editing programs for Linux. I used to use Kino a few years ago. It was at
the time quite capable and at least as competent as iMovie though the interface was a bit less polished
at the time. It did have a bunch of options that iMovie didn't as it was meant to cover a broader range of
possibilities than iMovie. I understand Kino has been updated and much improved since I last used it.

Ross