[conspire] request recommendation for webcam for Mac G4 PPC - Mac OS 10.4.11

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 8 03:00:49 PDT 2011

Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin at dslextreme.com):

[Upgrade to Leopard]

> Thank you - I'm cc'ing Donna so she knows about this option.

You're welcome -- but I mentioned it mostly to point out the absurdity
of forking out $50-130 to get an obsolete, unmaintained, dangerously
buggy upgrade of an EOL'ed operating system platform.

Me, I'd put Linux on it.  Typical MacOS faithful would rather die first
rather than use something unfamiliar that's not been blessed by the
Church of Steve, of course.  I don't want to sound too critical:  They
typically _really_ like to stick with what they know, don't wish to
learn about their systems, and low tolerance for getting their hands
dirty, and who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, fact is that it's simply a long-EOLed operating system on
PowerPC machines, and your sister is going to be forever stuck at either
2007 or (with expenditure of a bunch of money) 2009 unless she either
moves to an open-source OS or gets a newer computer (which is even more
money).