[conspire] Linux Server Monitoring Tools

ajd at adavies.net ajd at adavies.net
Sat Jul 23 11:16:43 PDT 2011

Hi Fellow Linux Users,

I'm seeking some help in sorting out the best of the best tools for monitoring a
cluster of Ubuntu 10.04 servers.  Currently I'm working part-time for a start-up
that does search results for medical journals for the academic community.  This
all runs on a cluster of about 100 Linux boxes.  I've been tasked with finding a
good solution to provide the following primary information:

1. Historical graphs of server utilization - the ability to graph individual
servers and then as groups over time so that business partners can determine the
optimal point to invest in hardware.

2. Alerts to failures and potential failures of hardware.

3. Ability to restart services automatically.

Some nice to haves would be the ability to image/clone new servers remotely,
push updates and a central point to be able to monitor servers.

Currently we're using M/monit, however, this doesn't provide some of the
features.  I'm also looking at Cacti and Landscape.  A colleague suggested GOD
as well.  I'd love to know what other people are using and the
benefits/drawbacks.  Of course free is always better, but in the interest of
keeping things running and being able to have a life, paying moderately for this
service is an option.

Thanks for the conversation, discussion and suggestions in advance.

Alan