[conspire] idle computer

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Jul 19 13:31:33 PDT 2011

Thank you for the replies. Personally, I have not been "hibernating", but gathering information (and also busy with other tasks).

TERSE
ACPI as well as screen savers, including SETI and BOINC, apparently determines idle from lack of I/O, especially keyboard and mouse, but sometimes also LAN traffic.

I will consider nice and ionice if I choose to support BOINC or similar projects.

From www.energystar.gov,   “ saving $25–75 per PC annually “ So this is not a big deal if $$ are all that matter.

I am interested in comments regarding hard-drives. Hard drives do make noticeable noise in a quite home. My opinion is that stopping mechanical devices should reduce wear and improve life, but I don't have any data to support that opinion. Others think drives should be kept running. In any event, disk drives don't consume much power.  More under VERBOSE.

VERBOSE
I did a series of experiments looking at the power management settings using XP, Live DVD LMDE and installed LMDE. After sorting out the differences in wording, the setting values are different. I won't fault the creators of the live DVD for doing a simplified version. Next time I install, I will try to remember “step 0: Set power management to Never.”

So far I have not found the official definition of “idle”, but I did find few descriptions. All relate to I/O and not to CPU usage.

 * Idle-ness is defined by an absence of mouse or keyboard activity

 * Accomplishing power management has four components. The first is to monitor activity levels of the processor, input devices (such as the keyboard and mouse), and communication peripherals (network or modem)

 * Someone who spends a lot of time reading on screen will need a longer delay period than someone who spends most of their time typing.

I did find several reports from university IT departments. Some encouraging powering down at night, others wanting computers turned on so they could be updated during the night. Neither of these apply to me.