[conspire] (forw) June 25/July 9 MP installfest RH 7.3 PC to Centos56 more/less done

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 14 13:55:19 PDT 2011

In which Eddie achieves success.

----- Forwarded message from wood eddie <ewood111 at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:52:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: wood eddie <ewood111 at yahoo.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: June 25/July 9 MP installfest RH 7.3 PC to Centos56 more/less done

Hi Rick:

Thanks again for great support.  Followed instructions.  Ran modern
yum command to fetch xorg package, finds that its already done.  Use
rpm command to xorg package install from CentOS DVD, says package
mentioned already installed. Next, backup xorg.conf to xorg.conf-conf,
ran Xorg -configure. I did not remember what happen next. Finally reboot
PC, after signon, ran startx, and CentOS screen finally comes up.
Hooray.

I shall play around with this, as its different than RH73.  Will start
to install Tomcat and apps next. By the way, I ran which java and finds
that /usr/bin/java already installed, as is also JDK 1.6, which
eliminates something I was going to do on RH73.  Got to sign off for
now. Thx again.

By the way, this email is sent using Firefox browser on CentOS !

Thx, Eddie