[conspire] (forw) Re: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/vcs.html

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 10:25:52 PDT 2011

Predictably, he further descended into personal abuse combined with
obfuscation and bizarre justifications.  I told him to smeg off.

----- Forwarded message from Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> -----

Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:20:43 +0200
From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: rick at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/vcs.html
	SPF_PASS,T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD autolearn=ham version=3.3.1

> Hello, 'GPL-2.0.txt'?
>

> rmoen at borgia:/tmp/sccs-1.0$ find . -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep GPL /dev/null
> ./conf/acgeneral.m4:dnl General Public License (GPL) does govern all other use of the material
> ./conf/acgeneral.m4:dnl This special exception to the GPL applies to versions of Autoconf

It seems that you miss the skills to understand that there is more than _one_
single OSS project on the world that includes all code ever writte.

The code you quote here is part of an independend project called "Schily
Makefiles" that itself is a mere collection of two projects: the schily makefile system and
the schily autoconf system. The latter was derived from GNU autoconf.

This independent project is used by many different independent projects and
claiming SCCS to contain GPL code is like claiming X11 to contain GPL code
after someone did manage to comple X11 using GNUmake.

> ./COPYING:For more information on the LGPL read the file        LGPL-2.1.txt
> rmoen at borgia:/tmp/sccs-1.0$

A line that slipped into as a result of a copy/paste action.

> Your categorical denial appears to have been incorrect.

Your claims are incorrect

> I'm guessing that, if I were to dig into pre-1.0 sources, I'd find
> LGPL components that had been replaced or removed by 1.0, leaving
> the one-line reference in the COPYING file as a vestige.
>
> In any event, my characterisation of the codebase as having a history of
> GPL and LGPL components seems to have been correct all along.

OK, it has been verified that your claims are incorrect.

Jörg