[conspire] internal rerouting problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 18 16:26:23 PST 2011

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

> ok. and the functionality you just described for unbound (specifically, the
> ability to query itself) is what i needed, and why i ended up using it
> (unbound).

Both handle queries.  Both need to consult other nameservers, elsewhere,
to do their jobs.

Unbound is merely a more _intelligent_ agent, in so doing, as it can
handle recursive service by itself, and doesn't need to forward
everything to a recursive server elsewhere.

I like Unbound.  It's very good software.[1]

> i had our _other_ DNS discussion in mind.

I'm sorry to say, again, I really don't understand what you're saying,
here.

Anyway, if, as you were saying, you are thinking of registering and
running a domain, than that domain will need (multiple) authoritative
nameservers.  The physically possible minimum is two authoritative
nameservers, but RFC 2182's recommendation is minimum three, maximum
seven.  (You'll notice I use _six_ network-disparate nameservers for
each domain.  Reckless people try to slide by with only two.  If you try
to get by with only _one_ authoritative server for your domains, then
your name is probably Sam Ockman.)

Public authoritative nameservers need to run on fixed IPs, regardless of
whether those nameservers are on your machines, friends' machines, or at
some paid service you purchase by the month.

Authoritative service is the one thing Unbound does _not_ do.  However,
NSD, by the same authors, fits that bill quite nicely.

[1] It's not the smallest, fastest recursive server, though.  That
honour probably now belongs to Sam Trenholme's new recursive package
'Deadwood'.

--
Rick Moen                  "You can stop running that response to Virginia's
rick at linuxmafia.com        letter about Santa.  She's probably dead by now."