[conspire] internal rerouting problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 18 14:38:09 PST 2011

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

> reading some dnsmasq explanation, it sounds more of a local dns cache (like
> unbound?), and not something that could serve the entire network.

Just catching up on this thread.  There seems to be some category
confusion, here.

Dnsmasq is _just_ a forwarder (with caching).  It has no built-in
intelligence whatsoever for doing actual DNS resolution, but rather
tosses all queries to an IP you specify.  The other function it performs
is strictly local-only authoritative service for your 'inside' machines.

It's somewhat similar to pdnsd, another small forwarder (with caching).

Unbound, by contrast, is a full recursive server, that also does
local-only authoritative service for your 'inside' machines, serving up
what it calls 'stub-zones'.

Please see my taxonomy and of *ix nameserver software, which explains
what each type is.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html

I don't know what your phrase 'something that could serve the entire
network' means.