[conspire] Tony = dizzy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 24 17:10:58 PST 2011

Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):

> People who change distros this fast and this often make me dizzy...   as do
> your methods of troubleshooting...

In fairness, apparently Bruce _really_ hates KDE4, his remaining options
for maintained KDE3 3.x code are limited, and he's been finding and
trying them as opportunity presents.

Bruce's anecdote about not being able to make Debian work with KDE 3.x
packages from the third-party 'trinity' repositories having 'probably a
permissions thing' seems more than a bit fishy, and I really don't get
this bit about 'switching between the root and sudo models get[ting]
messy'.  Those simply _aren't_ conflicting models, for one thing.

Anyway, it's clear that even though the Pearson Computing 'trinity'
effort is primarily focussed on Ubuntu, the Debian prebuilt binary
packages _do_ work fine, and have a good track record.  Details at the
main project site:

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

Unfortunately, Bruce didn't detail his symptoms, so it's not possible to
speculate about root cause of whatever it is he encountered.

(User tip:  Make notes in a paper logbook about all major events and
problems on your Linux systems.  Among the many advantages is that you
won't find yourself attempting to remember and describe a problem you
encountered days later, inevitably get details wrong, and annoy the hell
out of any online would-be helpers.  After many years of wondering why
so many users' problem descriptions are uselessly vague, I realised it's
because they didn't take contemporaneous notes, and thus vague guesses
were all they could provide.)