[conspire] greetings from latest debian mint " linux " supposed kde4

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Thu Feb 17 17:11:14 PST 2011

Bruce,

Seeing your determination to get Mint working, got me thinking that I should consider using Mint.

Obviously you don't like KDE4.  How much effort would it be to install an earlier version of KDE?  Or is Mint like Ubuntu, which makes it easy to install the "standard release" and difficult to do anything else?

Guess I should test drive the live DVD for at least a few hours before deciding to install.  As background I was using Unix with ksh before Linux was widely available.  I also have a strong sense of, "If it aint' broke, don't fix it."  As a corollary if KDE works, leave it alone.  There are plenty of other things to work on.

Related question:  You referred to Debian-Mint.  Numerous web-sites refer to Ubuntu-Mint.  Guess I just opened the door to a lot of comments.

Paul