[conspire] Browser 'Wars'

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:50:06 PST 2011

My original comment on this list refers to the pile of junk I've gotten from
Google lately. The first thing that happened is that gmail wouldn't show up
because it was supposedly being redirected to an unknown area of the cloud.
Fine, I said, I'll just download an install a newer version of Mozilla,
since something has gotten jumbled somehow. The newer version of Mozilla had
the same mail problem, but everything else worked well. I then downloaded a
beta version of Mozilla and it worked, but now things were being interrupted
everywhere with messages that I could solve my problems if only I used
Chrome. I'm using the beta version (I think) and all is OK in windoze. I
want to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 on Saturday.

Margaret

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 07:43:58PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 06:55:41PM -0800:
> >
> > > I briefly considered lavishing an entire slide on how lame, stupid, and
> > > useless Mozilla Corporation's 'do not track header' is, but figured
> that
> > > was obvious and also largely redundant to other material in my SVLUG
> > > talk.
> >
> > You can't rely on an HTTP load balancer to preserve
> > the RFC3514 evil bit*, but it will generally pass
> > HTTP headers.  DNT gives you similar protections to
> > what RFC3514 support on the server side does, but
> > can be handled at the client/web application level
> > and doesn't require RFC3514 support in any firewalls
> > between your client system and the web site.
> >
> >   * http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3514
>

> I don't really understand the logic in this?  Do they expect malware
> systems to set the evil bit on before they try to hack into NASDAQ?
>
> Ruben
> >
> > --
> > Don Marti
> > http://zgp.org/~dmarti/ <http://zgp.org/%7Edmarti/>
> > dmarti at zgp.org

> --
> http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
> http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
>
> So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like
> Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world  - RI
> Safir 1998
>
> http://fairuse.nylxs.com  DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI
> Safir 2002
>
> "Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"
>
> "The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to
> our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own
> society."
>
> "> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be
> damned.<
> You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have
> been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt.  I guess
> you missed that one."
>
> © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

Margaret Wendall
mwendall-at-gmail-dot-com
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Juvenal