[conspire] HP Melt Down

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Aug 23 10:02:10 PDT 2011

Personally I find the concept of the Internet Fridge with RFID reader and automatic-shopping-list-generator rather spooky. I already have to deal with grocery stores telling me how much I will save if I use their coupons or membership program.  Their calculations are obviously based on my buying products that they want to promote, not what I choose to buy. For all sorts of reasons, next week I might to decide to eat something different from what I had last week. That choice will be influenced by the seasons and what the other food purveyor are offering.

I hope it will be a long time before some electronic gizmo can replace a walk through the garden to decide that the zucchini is ripe or a walk through the produce store to decide that the peaches on sale are not ripe.

On the other hand, for a long time, I have been hoping for a clothes dryer that, would send me a message when the permanent press was done.  The machine obviously has a detector, but I am often too far away to hear the buzzer.

Or how about a toaster that has a photo-sensor that stops with the desired amount of actual toasting instead of the primitive temperature sensor?