[conspire] OT: Science Fiction, places to start

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Aug 5 10:10:33 PDT 2011

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 01:42:01AM -0700:

> I should mention:  The following authors mentioned currently or upthread
> are acquaintances, so season with skepticism to taste:  Tim Powers, Lois
> McMaster Bujold, Charles Stross, Steven Brust, Rudy Rucker.

Speaking of Stross (former Linux columnist and web
developer made good):

  San Francisco, Borderland Books
  Saturday August 6th at 3pm
  http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/08/atent-dead-yet.html

I think I've spotted a causality violation: the blurb
about his Hugo award started to appear on new books
so quickly after he received the award that they
must have been printing them on the other end of a
wormhole or something.

If I had to put one Stross *novel* on an intro list
it would be _Glasshouse_, but if you can get a copy
of the collection _Wireless_, that has a bunch of
his best shorter stuff in one place.

(And Rick, great list, but _one_ Heinlein?  For those
who like John Scalzi, it's worth getting _Starship
Troopers_ and _Friday_.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/