[conspire] duckduckgo firefox tip:

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Wed Apr 6 00:02:16 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 15:58, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):
>
>> ((BTW, did you notice I said dukgo and not google in the above?
>> duckduckgo has been using the slogan "we don't track you, google
>> does" lately and I've bought it so far.  Well, the former part- there's
>> nothing to buy in the latter.))
>
> I'm with you.
>
> Wendy Selzer on Google 'personalising' all searches:
> http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2009/12/08/personalized-search-opacity.html
>
> Joey Hess responding to that very change, the last straw for him, by
> switching from Google to DuckDuckGo for Web searching:
> http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/adieu_google/
>
> When I read about that, I changed the 'Department of Google Juice' on
> http://linuxmafia.com/ to a 'Department of Web-Search Juice' -- and
> replaced the phrase 'googling' in my vocabulary with 'web-searching'.
>
> As you'll note in the followups to Joey's post, DuckDuckGo is
> Javascript-dependent (last I checked), and thus is
> lynx-and-scripting-hostile, but works fine with Firefox/NoScript.

[sorry about the late response- just found this in my drafts]

duckduckgo firefox tip:

(Ctrl-L) about:config (enter)
yes yes I'll be careful
keyword.URL (enter)
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=
OK

(Ctrl-L) is now an encrypted duckduckgo search
(Ctrl-L) !g is now a google search.  for times when I want that.