[conspire] The old stealth licence change trick

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Sep 30 09:19:08 PDT 2010

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 07:49:59PM -0700:

> TACO (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out) was Christopher Soghoian's
> Firefox extension, released under the open source Apache Public License
> 2.0, that stuffs a bunch of protective HTML cookies into Firefox (or
> MSIE) to pre-empt a bunch of the more notorious tracking cookies.

A lot of the time, when the Free Software
implementation of an idea goes away without resulting
in a fork, it was a bad idea.

If you don't trust a web site's privacy policy, why
let your browser talk to it at all?  Webmasters are
sneaky.

LWN thread about other tracking techniques:
  http://lwn.net/Articles/406814/

I just use AdBlock Plus, with my own list.  (blocking
the Project Wonderful t-shirt ads on webcomics sites
is like kicking a puppy.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/