[conspire] (forw) Re: SVBUG

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 21 18:43:15 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded message from A User <auser at example.com> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:40:23 -0700
From: A User <auser at example.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: SVBUG

Hello Rick:

Thanks for the information.  I have heard bad things about GRUB2.   It
is an Alpha and at least 12-18 months away from being anything less
than real bugware.  One person suggested that I explore the
possibility of backing up the windows boot loader and installing Linux
last.  Usually windows must be installed last because it will rewrite
the masterboot record.  However, Linux will allow you to bypass this
problem if you know what you are doing, and I don't profess to have
such knowlege.

My understanding of Apple's boot camp assistant is that it will only
handle windows.  However, I haven't personally tried it.
I have heard that you loose your video acceleration unless you are
using GRUB2.  Will rEFIt also preserve the video acceleration in Open
BSD and SUSE Linux?

Although I do need something that isn't emulated, there will be times
when I need more than one operating system going at the same time.
There is an open source program that does this.  It isn't really an
emulator, but a virtual machine.

When are you folks having your next meeting?  I am quite barried with
school work.  This week is particularly bad.  Hopefully I can get a
little caught up by the weekend.

----- End forwarded message -----