[conspire] new laptop Fedora 13 with NVIDIA graphics card - yum update - now only blank screen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 21 13:51:08 PDT 2010

Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin at dslextreme.com):

> The backlight had gone out.

So, hardware problem.

> Please revert back to the previous kernel or manually reinstall the
> NVIDIA graphics driver if that is the issue causing the blank screen
> which it likely is.

So, _non_-hardware problem?

Sounds like somebody isn't talking to somebody else.

> http://wiki.linuxcertified.com/wiki/downloads/LC2210SN/manual.pdf

'Compal Electronics, Inc.'   As I thought.

It's odd the Compal do not disclose their model number in this manual,
and I gather that Chander Kent didn't answer your question on that point.

Me, I'd want to know.

Northbridge[1] chipset:  Intel PM45
Southbridge[2] chipset:  Intel ICH9-M
Sound chipset:  Realtek ALC268
Ethernet chipset: Realtek RTL8111C
I/O chipset (SD/MMC/MS.):  JMicron JMB385
CPU:  Intel Mobile Penryn 2.26 to 2.8 GHz
RAM:  SO-DIMMs, DDR32, two slots, 512MB to 2 GB per slot
Some kind of internal modem on a daughtercard, Bluetooth
Video chip not specified in the manual.  HDMI, VGA.
Wireless chipset, which would probably be a miniPCI option card, not mentioned
  except to say that it's some sort of Intel chipset.
HDD is on one of the SATA ports.  Optical drive:  doesn't say.
Camera:  interface not specified.

You might want to use 'lspci' to determine what your exact video chipset
is.

The manual discloses that Fn F3 toggles the laptop between internal
video only and external video only.

[1] Northbridge is the fast portion of the motherboard data bus, where
the CPU and RAM connect.

[2] Southbridge is the slower portion of the motherboard data bus, where
mass storage, USB, Bluetooth, PS/2, ethernet, wireless, modem, etc.
connect.