[conspire] new laptop Fedora 13 with NVIDIA graphics card - yum update - now only blank screen

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Sun Sep 19 15:27:05 PDT 2010

Ehud,

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Ehud Kaldor <ehud.kaldor at gmail.com> wrote:
> and one more thing - if you are not even seeing the bios and boot messages,
> it might be that the screen has gone bad. i would connect the VGA port to
> another screen and see if shows anything.

I'm not seeing any bios or boot messages. I do not have a VGA cable so
I can't connect to another screen. I am hesitant to do that though as
the last time I tried that I think I damaged an old Sony VIAO.

I sent an email to support at Linux Certified. I hope they respond on
Monday and can help me resolve this. I am very frustrated. I just
bought this laptop - argh!

Thank you

Darlene Wallach

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>
> wrote:

>> Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> > Ehud,

>> > I only see a black screen - like when I open the lid and the laptop is
>> > shut off. That is all I see even when I boot I never see anything on
>> > the screen.
>> >
>> > I am very perplexed! I'm hoping I did not break my brand new laptop.
>> >
>> > I have no idea what I could possibly have done to cause this.
>> >
>> > Thank you

>> > Darlene Wallach

>> Try booting from a LiveCD of some kind (System Rescue CD, Ubuntu, Knoppix
>> etc.)
>> I have seen the condition you describe when the notebook thinks it is
>> connected to a docking station, turns off its own monitor, and sends video
>> out the port to an external monitor. The LiveCD should at least tell you
>> whether the notebook is working. (Make sure it's a known to be good CD
>> though.)
>> - --
>> Mark Weisler
>> PGP Key ID 68E462B6  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/
>> PGP Key fingerprint  87D5 A77B FC47 3CC3 DFF0  586D 23FF F8B4 68E4 62B6

equal justice under law