[conspire] How do I determine what I need to keep from my internal hard drive and what is the recommend way to move things to an external hard drive

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Sep 6 08:27:38 PDT 2010

Darlene Wallach:
> I want to put /home on a separate partition because I prefer to do a
> clean install and format the when I install a new release of the Linux
> distro I install. Putting /home on a separate partition should allow
> me to do that and not format /home.

Sure, and as I said that's a valid reason for playing this carve-up
game.  However, I would argue that it's probably a better policy to keep
regular backups of /home to the point where you don't fear having to
scrap it and restore.

"It is not very unreasonable that the rich should
contribute to the public expense, not only in
proportion to their revenue, but something more than in
that proportion." -- Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations