[conspire] (forw) Re: UNIX beginner asks: what's a good forum for q's about command-line utilities?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:45:15 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 19:24, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Michael Gray <michaelcgray at gmail.com> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:11:58 -0700
> From: Michael Gray <michaelcgray at gmail.com>
> To: rick at linuxmafia.com
> Subject: UNIX beginner asks: what's a good forum for q's about command-line
>        utilities?
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I want to move multiple files to a directory. I know how to use mv to do
> this one file at a time (i.e., mv [file] [directory]), and I figure there
> must be a way to do it en masse, without naming each file explicitly.
>
> In the spirit of "teach a man to fish", what forum can you recommend that
> would be an appropriate place for my question(s)?
>
> In the spirit of "give a man a fish", what strategy would you use to solve
> this problem? I just need a hint. I will figure out the implementation if
> you can point me in the right direction.

I don't know whether this is the specific help you need, but it
definitely contains a number of general hints.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/gnulinux
Introduction to the GNU/Linux Command Line
Sponsored by FSF, hence the name. It should have been Introduction to
the bash Command Line.

I was one of the authors of this guide.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/