[conspire] OpenOffice.org -> LibreOffice, round two

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Oct 20 19:49:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 01:37:06PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > But if OO was never GPLed, then there are real limits to how much can be
> > forked.
>
> What about LGPL prevents effective forking?  (That's a rhetorical
> question, by the way.  OO.o was initially dual-licensed under LGPL and
> the one-off SISSL licence.)
>
> > And BTW - OO with SUN also had issues.  SUN packed it with an
> > insane DB backend linked into a Java based driver and some weirdo
> > database engine instead of just integrating it into the already existing
> > commonly deployed MYSQL or Postgres infrastructure.
>
> I was among those who argued on the OO.o bugzilla item in question in
> favour of using SQLite instead of, or at least in addition to, HSQLDB,
> as the engine for OO.o Base.  The justification for the latter was that
> it was more feature-complete.  SQLite would have required some extension
> work.
>
> Omitting OO.o Base isn't much of a loss, especially since it's trivial
> to connect to MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. via the built-in ODBC and JDBC
> interfaces, and there are simple instructions for doing so all over the
> Internet, including in my knowledgebase.  (About the only thing you lose
> by so doing is integrated report-generation.)

I would have just integrated it with MYSQL outright, which would have
allowed for a rich development platform for gui work.  I hooked it up
once to the ODBC drivers once, but on one of the upgrades it became a
lot harder, and I must be stupid, but I couldn't find decent
documentation on either the ODBC driver or the development language.

I'll look at your docs.  I should know enough to look there first by
now.

> > Al that being said, I love Monty but he is being a bit disingunuous to
> > complain about Oracle and MYSQL after walking away with a billion
> > dollars on the say of MYSQL to SUN.
>
> Yes, quite.  However, ability to fork renders disputations over who's
> a nice guy ultimately irrelevant.

100% which is much of the point of your original post.

Ruben