[conspire] symlinks vs mount --bind [Re: Partitioning revisited briefly]

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Oct 19 03:24:37 PDT 2010

Rick Moen:
> I do worry about recursive commands that will carefully avoid
> traversing symlinks (e.g, rm[1] and mv) but will not hesitate to
> follow bind mounts.

It gets worse: recursive commands that will carefully avoid traversing
filesystem mounts will cheerfully hop a bind mount if the source and
target directories are on the same volume.  Thus no amount of -x or
--one-file-system will prevent duplication of effort.

--
"Ill-informed qmail-bashing is better than no
qmail-bashing at all."