[conspire] Xubuntu 10.10 and xfce4-terminal

roger at rogerchrisman.com roger at rogerchrisman.com
Fri Oct 15 10:09:17 PDT 2010

>> Huh? When I cut and paste that command, ls /usr/bin | egrep "[A-Z]",
>> into my xfce4-terminal it lists _everything_ in there regardless of
>> case.
>
> Yes, I got the same result as you, on a different Debian box from the
> one where I got the results I posted.  Not sure what gives with that
> copy of grep.

I don't have time to try the following "locale" fix right now but in
case others have that weirdness with case insensitivity in grep, this
tip may help:

A comment to "bug #30327: regex ranges [A-Z] and [a-z] ignore case"
says the following:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30327

"Not a bug, but a function of your current locale. For more details,
see FAQ E9 in the bash FAQ:
http://tishttp://www.case.edu/php/chet/bash/FAQ

"Either set LC_ALL=C in your environment (technically, LC_COLLATE=C is
sufficient, but then you have to guarantee that LC_CTYPE is
compatible), or use [[:upper:]] and [[:lower:]] instead of [A-Z] and
[a-z] for proper locale case-sensitive regexes in your current
locale."

Meanwhile I installed agrep as an alternative grep tool. Agrep does
case sensitivity as expected without any changes to "locale." I'll
look into "locale" settings later.
Roger