[conspire] recording activities of authorities [Re: Idiot waiver demands]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 14 14:21:09 PDT 2010

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> So on Monday, when the banks and post offices were closed, were you
> remembering Columbus or Leif Eriksen?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

Ooh, I didn't even know about that!  (But then, Minnesota Scandihoovians
are a different breed:  My own folks emigrated straight to California.)

Erikson was such a shifty, scruffy bandit, albeit not nearly as
disreputable as his pappa, Erik 'the Red' Thorvaldsson, who kept
being exiled for murder.  But both were damned _lucky_ bandits.

Having a day named for Erikson would be interesting:  It's not entirely
clear whether one would be celebrating the insane bravery inherent in
exploring deadly, unknown oceans, or his trying and failing to settle
northernmost Labrador when a little more coastal sailing would have
reached the valley of the Hudson.