[conspire] Xubuntu 10.10 and xfce4-terminal

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 14 12:58:02 PDT 2010

Quoting Roger Chrisman (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> Back to "Terminal" vs "terminal," are there any other commands that
> use capital letters?

Depends on what's installed, of course.

rmoen at borgia:~$ ls /usr/bin | egrep "[A-Z]"
ControlPanel
GET
HEAD
Mail
POST
Ted
Thunar
vt-is-UTF8
WindowMaker
WPrefs
X11
Xorg
rmoen at borgia:~$

This might help:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Bugs

> Meanwhile, "xfce4-terminal" is present by default and answers to its
> name. So I'll use it. My sentiment is to follow the lead of the folks
> who I trust to put a distribution together and not modify the system
> more that relevant to my needs.

Speaking for myself, my own needs include having stuff _I_ want
configured the way I like it, irrespective of what the distribution
maintainers think.

So, for example, I consider Gnumeric the best all-around graphical
spreadsheet in open source, and AbiWord the best all-around graphical
word processor in open source.  They happen to both be linked against
gnomelibs and gtk2, so you tend to get them with GNOME, but I don't
especially care for GNOME as a whole, so I install them a la carte.

If I were running the KDE or XFCE4 or LXDE suites, I'd still install
those two a la carte, if they were omitted.

As to X11 terminal apps, why not just install all of the possibles that
seem even remotely interesting, try them all to see which ones you like,
and 'apt-get remove' the ones you don't care for?  (Foolish
consistencies, hobgoblins, and all that.)