[conspire] Xubuntu 10.10 and xfce4-terminal

roger at rogerchrisman.com roger at rogerchrisman.com
Thu Oct 14 10:22:39 PDT 2010

>> Is there a default XFCE alias for xfce4-terminal, maybe something like
>> "term"?
>
> Stupidly, it's "Terminal", with a capital "T".

Capital "T"?... interesting... let's see

roger at x:~$ terminal
The program 'terminal' is currently not installed.  You can install it
by typing:
sudo apt-get install rsplib-tools

And now with capital "T"

roger at x:~$ Terminal
The program 'Terminal' is currently not installed.  You can install it
by typing:
sudo apt-get install terminal.app
roger at x:~$

A different result! I sense a disturbance in the Force: name envy
clashes with case sensitivity. . . absence of the contending terms'
from the default Xubuntu 10.10 install.

"Verve" is what Xubuntu 10.10's Panel offers with a terminal _icon_
when I right click Panel and select Add New Items and scroll down to
look. But "verve" is not a terminal. It is a Panel gizmo that gives
you a one line field in which to type commands. Further, because I
like to keep my Panel 1 on the left edge of my screen, after adding
Verve to my Panel to see what it was I had trouble removing it: right
clicking on Verve there in my left column did not bring up the
expected "remove" option. I found however that moving Panel 1 back to
top of screen allowed me to right click on bottom edge of Verve in a
way that did bring up a "remove" option.

Back to "Terminal" vs "terminal," are there any other commands that
use capital letters?

If I knew who to file a bug report with I might do it. Do you suppose
the folks setting these things in code actually want a bug report
against the version of Xfce that is in  Xubuntu 10.10?

Meanwhile, "xfce4-terminal" is present by default and answers to its
name. So I'll use it. My sentiment is to follow the lead of the folks
who I trust to put a distribution together and not modify the system
more that relevant to my needs. I put substantial $ trust in my
computer: I use it for personal banking now, like many folks do. Do
you?

Roger
Palo Alto