[conspire] (forw) Re: Unity on Wayland

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 30 19:36:33 PST 2010

I wrote:

> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > This stuff makes me crazy.  What is Compiz??  And why do a need a 3d
> > window manager?
>
> Compiz is/was the original 3D-compositing window manager for X11,
> developed by Novell in 2006.
>
> I was working at Cadence Design Systems in 2006, and got to see a demo
> by the Novell people of the Novell Linux 9.0 beta, which featured
> Compiz.

Meh, my timing's off.

It might have been as early as 2004.  Anyway, it was before anyone had
showed a 3D-based Linux desktop system in public, and was shortly before
the release of 'Novell Linux Desktop 9' aka NLD.

That (NLD) was the then-full name of Novell's initial desktop offering
following acquisition of SUSE Linux AG.  Only later came the emergence
of SUSE Linux Enterprise {Server|Desktop}, and vacillation over what to
do with the old community edition (which is now openSUSE).