[conspire] ubuntu and b43 problems

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Nov 8 06:26:12 PST 2010

begin Rick Moen quotation of Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:17:12AM -0800:

> Going all the way back to the winmodem misadventure, I can't help
> noticing that a lot of Linux users misdefine the necessary and logical
> question as 'How do I make Linux support all the components currently in
> my machine?', when a better question is 'What's the best tradeoff of
> time versus money that makes me able to get desired functionality?'

Since Broadcom is finally getting off the proprietary
drivers and high on _life_ instead, one option might
be to find out if your distribution has a repository
of current upstream kernels, and try to install
and boot one of them.  You could also do something
like this:

  http://www.toddsmith.org/wordpress/server-technology/howto-compile-an-upstream-kernel-the-debian-ubuntu-way/

(I agree with Rick that unless you want to make a job
or serious hobby out of device driver development,
careful shopping is usually the best way to get a
working Linux system.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/