[conspire] Generic Linux?

roger at rogerchrisman.com roger at rogerchrisman.com
Fri Jun 11 11:15:25 PDT 2010

Is Linux generic?

Last night at the top of the Wikipedia "Linux" article I found Linux
described as a _generic term_:

        "Linux (commonly pronounced /ˈlɪnəks/ LIN-əks  in American
English,[3][4]  also pronounced /ˈlɪnʊks/ LIN-ooks[5]  in Europe and
Canada) is a generic term referring to the family of Unix-like
computer operating systems that use the Linux kernel"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux)

This morning I find _Mercury News_ columnist Mike Cassid describing
Linux as generic, "But think about Linux. It's a generic term for a
number of operating systems that can be downloaded and installed for
free," in the sixth paragraph of his column, "Linux could ease
schools' tech crunch."
(http://www.mercurynews.com/mike-cassidy/ci_15269820)

Is Linux a specific trade mark of Linus Torvald's or a generic term
such as PC, free operating system, orange or butter?

Anyone can edit the Wikipedia "Linux" article and delete the word
"generic." Maybe I will if one of you don't first.

Is Linux generic?

Cheers,
Roger