[conspire] Floppy drive on today's Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 7 22:54:56 PDT 2010

Quoting Roger Chrisman (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> I've got to go to bed. But in case it is of interest, here's my
> /etc/fstab on that box. The last line I copied from some Linux help
> website and put into /etc/fstab yesterday.

Yeah, there's your problem:

  /dev/fd0        /media/floppy  auto   rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8   0     0

The 'utf8' option is what's shooting you in the foot.

You'll see in my post of a few minutes ago an alternative suggestion
(from which, as noted, you could omit the 'rw' option as redundant).

By the way, 'exec' is _also_ a default mount option, so there's really
not a lot of point in specifying that, either.  It means 'honour the
executable bit, if present, on any files in this filesystem'.