[conspire] (forw) Re: PowerPC Linux Install This Saturday?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 9 02:32:41 PDT 2010

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 02:32:16 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: "M. C." <hermannhessefan at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PowerPC Linux Install This Saturday?

Quoting M. C. (hermannhessefan at yahoo.com):

> Hi, my name is Matt. I've been trying to install Linux on an iMac G4 I
> found on the street recently, but it has a glitchy DVD drive and I've
> been having a tough time following the online tutorials for booting
> from the hard drive or using TFTP. (I've been a casual Ubuntu user for
> about a year now, but my command line skills are pretty limited.)
> Anyway, I just saw that you're having a CABAL meeting this Saturday,
> and I was wondering if I could bring the machine down and pick your
> brains about how best to get it loving the penguin, as it were.
> I have plenty of PowerPC Linux install discs and images, and the
> computer works, it's just the process that's got me stuck. Let me know
> if this CABAL meeting would be a good place to give this a try, and
> hopefully I'll see you this weekend!

Hi, Matt!

Fortunately, there's a really good workaround we can use:  We just make
your iMac boot from my external Firewire/USB-type DVD/CD/BluRay drive.
Should work fine.   All we have to do is remember the magic keystroke to
hold down during bootup to make the machine boot from external media.  I
think this is it:

  Option : When using an Open Firmware "New World ROM" capable system, the
  System Picker will appear and query all mounted devices for bootable
  systems, returning a list of drives & what OS they have on them.

Found on:

I've done Linux distros on PowerPC any number of times, though I'm a
little rusty at this point.

CABAL can also offer you this array of installation media in our

o  Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.2a "lenny" (2009-08-17) XFCE Install CD1 for PowerPC
o  Fedora 12 "Constantine" (2009-11-08) for PowerPC (1 DVD)
o  OpenSUSE 11.1 (2008-12-18) for PowerPC (3 CDs)
o  Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" (2010-04-29) Alternate and Desktop Disks for

Taken from:

If you have a preference for anything beyond those, and ask me tomorrow
before the late afternoon, I can download and burn other things, too.

Rick Moen            "Avoid dangling participles unless referring to James Bond,
rick at linuxmafia.com  in which case dangle them over shark tanks or fire pits."
McQ!  (4x80)                                              -- FakeAPStylebook

----- End forwarded message -----