[conspire] when people send me outright [L]UG questions

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:41:27 PST 2010

when people send me outright [L]UG questions

> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:50:32 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] (forw) Re: your mail
> To: conspire at linuxmafia.com
>
> So, these days, when people send me outright LUG questions (without any
> matters suggesting a need for privacy) via private e-mail, _especially_
> people like Arnold who're writing me solely because they know I host
> CABAL (he'd been here), I assume the right to post my responses here, to

Reward preferred behavior, discourage inappropriate / less preferred
behavior.  I like feedback loops that encourage things in appropriate
directions.

When "I" get questions of that nature sent to me (or when they're sent
to, e.g. a BALUG non-list email address/alias), when (and if) I send a
reply, I'll typically encourage them in the direction of appropriate
list(s) or forums.  I'll also generally avoid giving them a relatively
complete answer.  E.g. I might give slight bit of hint(s) to perhaps whet
their appetite a bit more, but generally note that they're likely to get
much better and more complete information on or via lists or other
suitable forum(s).  E.g. (most specific identifiable bits and specific
question and hints at answer(s) redacted):