[conspire] Autodowload a Virus

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 5 22:43:37 PST 2010

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> I am only familiar with the Kubuntu variant and have developed the
> habit of installing Synaptic and using it to look for .debs in the
> repositories  that I have authorized it to use.

Absolutely.  Synaptic is functioning, there, as a front-end to the apt
tools -- which is why it will, when used that way, fetch packages only
from the package sources you've authorised.

It's a stack, like this:

Synaptic

   |      invokes for package retrival
apt tools

   |      invokes for package insertion/removal
 dpkg

What the nameless guy did who sent up a .deb to gnome-look.org would
not be visible in that toolchain.  Users were expected to fetch the deb
via the hyperlink on gnome-look.org and then use... whatever
GNOME/Ubuntu people use to install .deb packages outside the apt
toolchain.