[conspire] More Firefox Addon problems - this tie from MS

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Feb 13 07:59:47 PST 2010

begin Ed Biow quotation of Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:45:41PM -0800:

> I use ssh-server all the time from inside my home network, but am a
> little unclear how I'd do if over the net to their house, given that
> they don't have a fixed IP address.  Their ISP would just assign a
> random IP address, no?

Right, so set the remote system up with an SSH tunnel
that will come up and down automatically when they
get on the net.

  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/warez/tunnel-up
  http://zgp.org/~dmarti/warez/tunnel-down

(You'll need to make a special-purpose "tunnel"
user on the system they're connecting to.)

> I really would like to figure out how to control other folks' PCs
> remotely with VNC or whatever.

Should be able to do that over a tunnel too.

> find a document.  He dual boots Windows & Hardy.  Yesterday I couldn't
> coach him through printing out a document in either (I know I set up
> his printer in both environments, but he's in his 70s and his
> description of what was happening on the screen just left me
> flummoxed).  That's when I started looking at GoToMyPC.  I could use a
> good belting with a clue-stick.

Dual-booting is good for one thing: hobbyists who
want to use the same hardware for long PC gaming
sessions and for long productive* Linux sessions.

End users should not be dual-booting.  The thing you
need is always on the other OS.

* as long as you heartily believe that no
  habit-forming games are out for Linux.  Tetris
  for Linux?  No such thing.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tetris_Company

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org