[conspire] another 'survey' - home VPN server

Ehud Kaldor ehud.kaldor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:20:08 PST 2010

i agree. but, my router is D-Link DIR-655, which does not have VPN abilities
(to the best of my knowledge), and cannot be flushed with WRT. so, it's
either replacing a rather decent router by paying up for a new one, or
having the VPN inside, on physical or virtual. the benefit of virtual is
cleanliness - i want to kill the VPN - i kill the VM. no need to worry about
what happens after reboots, dependencies on my main server and such. benefit
of having an appliance - nice management interface. benefit of having a
white-box, ubuntu based appliance - have some freedom in logging in,
installing extra modules if i want.

other than that - i agree. if i had my way, i would have a dual NIC
connected to the modem, acting as gateway, firewall, VPN and all else.

Ehud