[conspire] (forw) Re: Unity on Wayland

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Dec 6 08:01:41 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 05:48:40PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > So yes, the crazy whooshy wobbly "3D desktop" stuff looks unappealing to
> > us, and it's an easy snark to peer down over our half-moons and say
> > "That is not appropriate, young man!"  But the real point is that that
> > stuff works as:
> >
> >        1. A proof-of-concept technology demo.
> >        2. Tests for our no-longer-optional 3D support
> >        3. A sample chunk of code for future UX designers to learn from
> >           when coding an interface that gets out of your way rather
> >           than spinning and wobbling in your face.
> >
> > So yeah, it can chill out on my lawn.  I'm cool with it.
>
> While I don't care about wobbly windows, the card-shuffling
> window-switching is cool.  And I'd love to see UIs that actually use
> 3-D for something useful and not just prettify the old paradigm.
>
> But I wouldn't be willfully ignorant of it like Ruben (appears to be).

Why do you piss on my leg and say absurd and judgemental things like
this.

I don't care about the technical jaargon of new interfaces because they
generally suck.  It's not that we don't try them, its that we don't LIKE
them, because ... well they suck.

They suck because they are memory hogs.  They suck because sound,
networking  and file system monitoring has been put in the interface
where my children then break everything for me to fix later.  They suck
because they suddenly do unexpected things and I lose track of my
windows, and they SUCK because my work space is not a damn video game.

Mostly they suck because they waste valuable resources emulating a crappy
Mac interface, that also SUCKS.  Every few years a new generation of
children come around, fed on slavesware crap and then try to force GNU
systems to there brainwashed computer worldview.

My interest is strickly understand how they are moving because
eventually these idiots will twist up X so that wmaker doesn't work, and
then I'll have to work with it and hack it to my satisfaction.  But what
really got my attention in this case was the gesture and touch screen
posibility.  What I want to get rid of is the mouse.  There has been
some work with HP Touchscreen capabilities and gesturing, but I haven't
yet seen it folded into any distro's as of yet.

>  Seriously, how can you be on technical lists etc these past few years
> and be ignorant of Compiz and 3-D

that is really none of your business what I've been busy with.  If you
don't like my question don't waste time answering it.  Are you this much
of a PIA in person or do you restrict yourself to mail list activities?

> and just try to run it from the
> command line and expect it to do anything but crash your system.

Low and Behold - It didn't crash my system.  And GOD FORBID you should
use the Command Line.  I might even have had to read man xinit!

> Ruben: go read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

Your a little late in the game for the advice, even burried in 5 pounds
of manuer.

Ruben