[conspire] etckeeper hagiography 6.0/Squeeze upgrade

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Aug 25 01:39:13 PDT 2010

Rick Moen:
> One thing I've noticed is that, when doing a massive apt-get upgrade
> operation, it's really vital to _copy and paste_ into a buffer
> anything from the package advisory notices that might be important.

I'd add to this that etckeeper (well packaged in Debian and its
derivatives) is also fantastic for post-mortem analysis of upgrades.  It
will use the VCS of your choice to commit changes to /etc before and
after any dpkg operation.  It's automatic, so it's one of those things
like backups or logs where it only ever occurs to you when you need it

I tend to use bazaar just because I can't abide git's interface choices
(git reminds me of TLA back in 2003 or so), and that lets me run "bzr
blame" on a file to see which changed lines correspond to which
revisions in the VCS, I can use bzr diff to generate diffs between
arbitrary revisions, and bzr log will let me get an overall timeline of
when I did upgrades (since timestamps on files in /etc will not give you
this information).

You can also provide hooks for when to commit yourself.  On some systems
I insist on committing manually, and it can be helpful to run a "bzr
status" and see all the *.dpkg-* files listed in the "unknown:"

BitKeeper, how quaint.
                -- Alan Cox