[conspire] Fedora 12 wireless hell

Ehud Kaldor ehud.kaldor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 22:58:59 PDT 2010

well,
i tip my (red) hat to you, Rick.
you were wrong about the dell model. it was 1397 (mental note: don't write
model numbers from memory). while i was looking for a fedora resource, the
answer, as usual, laid in the most (un)expected place - Dell. the community
blog post you have below led me to the broadcom site, downloaded the 32bit
one, untar, make, make install and reboot. all the fog clears.

this experience, however, brought me to the following conclusion - there is
a misunderstanding about default driver sets with OS vendors (not just
Linux, i guess). it is clear to me that in today's world, where laptops are
prevalent, if display, keyboard and mouse drivers are P0, the next in line
should be the wireless. after all, if you don't get your driver from the
shipped-with CD but from the web, where you also get assistance for anything
that is not PnP, wireless is your door to the world. true, wired is some
compensation, but installing in a coffee shop or even at home, if you want
to sit on the couch and not pull cables all over, it's a must nad not just a
luxury. there has got to be a way, like for displays or keyboards, that will
let you have basic wireless functionality for _ANY_ wireless card, enough to
connect to the nearest non-customized access-point and download the real
driver. maybe i got spoiled over the years, and maybe it has some merit.

anyway, this is a work-issued laptop so taking the card out would have been
messy, and luckily i don't need to. and today is the first day of the rest
of my

no. forget that. skip the cliche.

oh, and apologies for the multi lists. will not happen again.

and just in case it did not reach the mafia bunch, RMS is lecturing in
Stanford on 4/30.

Ehud