[conspire] (forw) Re: hi, I need help installing cinelarra on ubuntu 9.04

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 21 22:24:32 PDT 2010

More in the ongoing saga.

----- Forwarded message from Tom Bergstrom <tbergsstudio at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Bergstrom <tbergsstudio at yahoo.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: hi, I need help installing cinelarra on ubuntu 9.04

Hi Rick,

Thanks for getting back.

My Cinelerra Installation:
I downloaded the a ".deb" file at the Cinelerra download site.
Next, I installed it using GDebi.
>From your previous email I opened the terminal and typed cinelerra &.
This is what I got:
[2] 3671
[1]   Exit 127                cinelerra
root at techart1866-laptop:/home/techart1866# [1]+  Exit 127                cinelerra
bash: cinelerra: command not found

What does mean?
I plan to stop by Sat. after 3pm.  Unfortunately I have to work Sat the 24th.

Thanks,
Tom

[RM: snip copy of my entire prior correspondence.]

> I downloaded the a ".deb" file at the Cinelerra download site.
> Next, I installed it using GDebi.
> From your previous email I opened the terminal and typed cinelerra &.
> This is what I got:
> [2] 3671
> [1]   Exit 127                cinelerra
> root at techart1866-laptop:/home/techart1866# [1]+  Exit 127                cinelerra
> bash: cinelerra: command not found
>
> What does mean?

<laughs>

Sorry, it's not you, it's just that this is Just One of Those Things.

That means that you fairly reasonably expected that an executable named
'cinelerra' would be in one of the directories included in your $PATH
variable, but either it's called something different or it's in a
directory that's not in one of the $PATH directories.

It's like you shouted out the name "Rob!", and your friend Rob did not
respond because he's decided his name is Robert this week.  (But,
actually, I suspect the package didn't get installed.)

The '.deb' package you pulled down from the Cinelerra Web site installed
stuff somewhere.  I'm really surprised that (apparently?) it didn't
include a /usr/bin/cinelerra executable.  Maybe you ought to look in
that directory (/usr/bin), which is the standard place, and 'cinelerra'
_ought_ to be the right name for the executable.

You're running Ubuntu 9.04 Intrepid Ibex.  So, this page, slightly out
of date...
http://cinelerra.org/docs/cinelerra_cv_manual_en.html#SEC23
... recommends adding a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list to
make Ubuntu-specific packages available to you:

deb http://http://repository.akirad.net akirad-intrepid main

I've updated that from the page's slightly outdated reference to 8.04
Hardy Heron to 9.04 Intrepid Ibex.  Doing that gives you access to these
packages:  http://repository.akirad.net/pool/main-intrepid/

Notice the five different package names for the x86 packages.  Quoting:

  - Cinelerra package is available in 5 variants:
  cinelerra (x86 and x86_64 without opengl 2.0 video card)
  cinelerra-generic (all x86 and x86_64 with opengl 2.0 video card)
  cinelerra-k7 (amd32 without opengl 2.0 video card)
  cinelerra-k7gl (amd32 with opengl 2.0 video card)
  cinelerra-k8 (amd k8 optimized with opengl 2.0 video card)

Which one you would want to install depends on your CPU, and on whether
or not your video card does OpenGL 3D rendering in Ubuntu.

I think I can take it as probable that something went south concerning
your installation of that deb.  I'm not familiar with GDebi, but
you might start by seeing whether you have a cinelerra package installed
at all.  Open a shell prompt and:

  dpkg -l | grep cinelerra

If that returns null, then you don't have an package installed that has
'cinelerra' as part of its name.  (Oh, and that option to dpkg is "l' as
in Larry, not numeral 1.  It's short for 'list' in this case.)

After following the cited page's instructions about adding a line to
/etc/apt/sources.list (except saying "akirad-intrepid" instead of
"akirad-hardy"), do this at a command prompt to refresh your catalogues
of installable software:

   sudo apt-get update

Then, do this to fetch cinellera and required dependency packages:

   sudo apt-get install cinelerra

(Instead of "cinelerra", you could of course install one of the other
four package names, if that suits your hardware better.)

After you do that, there should be an executable program named
'cinelerra' that you can run in any of the usual ways including typing
'cinelerra &' at a shell prompt.

----- End forwarded message -----