[conspire] UUIDs, LVM, etc.

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Mon Apr 5 10:46:12 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 21:01, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Rationale:
>> o LVM has many advantages.
>
> ...and hideously overcomplicates your system with additional layers of
> abstraction, with, in the _general_ case, little to no advantage worth
> mentioning.

It also makes it difficult to clone systems.  I like to set up a
system with labels and clone it with DD.  LVM and UUIDs make
that hard.  The only gain seems to be to be able to grow partitions
across multiple drives without redundancy- it I want to make
partitions that big I'll use md raid10 so a failure in one of the
drives doesn't destroy my whole filesystem.

Tony