[conspire] GNU parted *won't* create an ext3 file system - argh!

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Apr 2 07:17:09 PDT 2010

Darlene Wallach wrote:
> I finally realized that when I thought I had successfully created an
> ext3 file system on partition 1 - no file system had been created -
> argh! Looks like I can't use GNU parted for my Seagate FreeAgent Go 1T
> drive.
> cfdisk doesn't support GPT
> I guess I'm going back to gparted - argh! I would rather use a cli.
> Thank you for all the help Rick, maybe next time I'll get it figured out.
> Darlene Wallach
If you choose to use gparted you can partition and assign a filesystem
all using just gparted as described here...

If you use GNU parted and complete the partitioning then you will need
to assign a filesystem as another step using, for example, mkfs.ext3, as
 Rick describes.

For Linux work I recommend that you get comfortable partitioning and
using the basic filesystems like ext3 before moving to the GUID
Partition Table (GPT) arena. GUID is used now on the Macintosh but that
is a different kettle of fish.
- --
Mark Weisler
PGP Key ID 68E462B6
PGP Key fingerprint  87D5 A77B FC47 3CC3 DFF0  586D 23FF F8B4 68E4 62B6

Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.12 (Darwin)