[conspire] vim vs sed awk and grep + interactive vs automation [was Re: Slice of life]

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Mon Sep 21 17:19:10 PDT 2009

> I haven't been much bothered by those limitations yet, my main need
> being just logfile analysis and managing a mere couple of thousand
> Internet domains.  ;->

I was just going to say...

Try translating this into sed:
  perl -i -pe 's{/usr/local/bin/python}{/usr/bin/python2.4}' /usr/local/bin/*.py

But then I looked at a sed manual and saw you can do:

  s_/usr/local/bin/python_/usr/bin/python2.4_

I guess I bought into the better "sed than sed" meme too fast

>> I created a quick reference to Perl for my own use. If there is
>> interest, I can share it.
>
> Sure.  Please do.

Yeah

There's also a lot of gold to be found if you google: perl oneliner explained

By the way, is anyone else finding google less and less useful?  It's
getting less literal and showing me results as if specific technical
acronyms and commands are typos and abbreviations.  I'm especially
annoyed to search for words and be given results that don't contain
those words at all.  I have to redo the search with + prefixes!

Tony