[conspire] vim vs sed awk and grep + interactive vs automation [was Re: Slice of life]

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Sep 21 16:39:19 PDT 2009

A few years ago, my situation was the exact inverse.  After coming up to speed on shell scripts, the question was what next, sed?  awk?  My boss was of the opinion that Perl was a better solution.  Fortunately he also allowed the time to go do some self study and later paid for the courses through UCSC extension.

The good news is that anything that can be done in Perl can be done in multiple ways.  The bad news is the flexibility allows sloppy programming.

I created a quick reference to Perl for my own use.  If there is interest, I can share it.

Paul