[conspire] Slice of life

Carl Myers cmyers at cmyers.org
Fri Sep 18 16:39:09 PDT 2009

Yeh, good point - I believe the "short time later" played no small part in the
outtage I was referring to - sadly, problems aren't always noticeable until the
client's DNS caches clear out.

The advantage of the system I described is, changes can be made without having
to make the request - to beta, or gamma.  Then, after careful QA and review (and
a "request" which is possibly signed off by a manager of some sort) those
changes can be promoted to production in a controlled way, without accidentally
promoting other changes that were not reviewed.  It gets the best of both worlds
by letting devs avoid some of the process, while still ensuring that changes are
controlled.

That said, as I said before, it does suffer from some problems too (like
instilling developer laziness).

I am quite biased, being a "build engineer" myself and having spent my 4 year
career focused on developer tools more than end-user apps, but I believe
strongly that people who do not have such a system in place are doomed to
implement it, piece by piece, gradually over time (or, suffer through horrific
problems and lose valuable productivity, and eventually, developers fed up with
the situation).

On an unrelated note, I also liked your mention of the advantage of scripting
over crappy GUI tools - what an exquisite example to use when someone asks "Why
should I bother to learn this crap anyways when I can just use a GUI?".  The
more I use the CLI, the more comfortable I get with it and the more productive
it makes me.